Monday, January 15

over the weekend...

As you most likely gathered, i was down in Laguna last week.
I've been doing work at the school helping set up the gallery (which i have a painting in!), some secretarial work, and some design work as well. On Thursday evening Sarah and Alec drove down to Orange to visit me. (: We hung out a little bit and then decided to go get food. We went out to eat at the Thai House Cafe...they have some pretty mean curry.









Back at my place we hung out and looked through old pictures, sketchbooks, my diary from when i was ten years old (which was pretty hilarious), and other such things.

As the evening waned it was brought to my attention that Alec forgot to bring something to sleep in...so i gleefully dug through my drawer and found a pair of Christmas pajama pants i had forgotten about with candy canes and mugs of hot chocolate all over them. I also lent him a garishly red old t-shirt and the ensemble was complete! (the socks are his) Then i put on a mix cd Pip made me a couple of years ago titled: "Summer of Fire 1986, or, Dilapidated Grandeur". And we danced around to it until we were warm (it was a cold night) and tired. There are no pictures of this, unfortunately, because when i happen to actually participate in something it goes undocumented. oh well. I was wearing a ten-year-old pair of plaid shorts and blue striped socks up to my knees.
it was pretty sweet.
Then we said good night and Alec slept in the painting/guest room and Sarah and i retired to my room.

In the morning we headed into Laguna for breakfast at Zinc's Cafe. It was a chilly, clear gorgeous morning (despite the lack of clouds) and i ordered their last bowl of oatmeal and a Cappuccino, which Alec told me was a pretty lame one. I guess he would know, being a barista and all. But i'm not picky so i was content with it.
Zinc's is a vegetarian restaurant, which is perfect for the two weirdos i was with. Sarah and Alec both wanted to get Zinc Burgers (veggie burgers), but we had to wait until 11 am for lunch to be served. So while we were waiting Alec and i both got out our cameras. Sarah was really happy to be sitting in the middle of us at that point. hehe...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

little feathered friend




I then took out my sketchbook and let Alec have at it. I shot a gazillion pictures of him drawing in it. Here are but a few...




















Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

~~~


Then i had to hi-tail it out of there and be back in Pasadena by 1.
And that's where i got to see my clouds as i drove toward the San Gabriel Mountains...










sigh...


Saturday morning there was the women's prayer meeting. Then Sarah, Amaris and i went to lunch and got Mexican food. Sarah's burrito wasn't quite big enough...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


:D






~~~

That evening was a bittersweet one...
Grandma is doing a little better now, but Saturday night she was suffering so badly. Some of my very dearest friends came over...Katie, Bettina and Pip (Alec was already there)...it was so lovely to see Katie and Bettina. i only get to see them about every ten years or so...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sarah, Katie and Bettina


...and we all had dinner with my family and laughed and talked, and every so often gathered in my grandma's room and pray for her. Mom, Sarah Alec and i sang some hymns for her as well, to try and calm her as the spasms in her legs worsened and her breathing became even more shallow. She finally fell asleep for at least a little while.

We then migrated to the studio where we all snuggled up on the couch and watched "The Adventures of Pete and Pete"...specifically, a couple of shorts and the episode with Mr. Tastee. Then Katie and Bettina left into the frigid night. Sarah, Alec, Pip and i were so tired that we just stayed cozy on theh couch in the dimly lit room and all fell asleep for a little while. At one point i got up and got my camera and took a picture...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
From the left there's Sarah, Alec and Pip...who's completely covered by the cream colored blanket.


~~~


Of course Sunday was church...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Afterwards My aunties Jeannie, Wren and Robin and our friend Jan all came to visit my grandma. She was so happy to see people...her spirits are lifting. The oxygen tank we have her "hooked up to" is helping. She still can't walk and her speaking is difficult, but it's nice to see her smile.
Then cousin Anna came by! and the 4 of us (Anna, Sarah Alec and i) went and got sushi for dinner.
It was fun hanging out with my cousin. (:

Upon arriving home, Sarah and Alec and i sat with my grandma for a good while and she talked to us about her visit to the Holy land back in the 60's (i believe). As she did so she clutched her rosary, the one my grandpa had given her, which she had taken with her as she retraced the steps and the life of Christ. She was so grateful just to have the 3 of us sit and listen to her...
Then she got too tired to talk, and i helped her take some of her many many meds we are using to try and keep her comfortable...
We really have no idea how long she has. We know she has heart failure...but my grandma has a knack for bouncing back...

I'm trying to teach myself to play the piano again...

I was telling Katie the other day that, with everything going on...both the spoken and the unspoken, i really don't know how to feel right now. Lots of conflicts of joy and sadness, pain and happiness, grief and gladness, anger and peace. Sometimes life just lacks grey areas, you know? Last night was difficult for so many reasons...

I start LCAD again tomorrow...i'm looking forward to that...but not without the side of trepidation that goes with it! It could be a lot worse though...and i'm so grateful i'm not in the same place i was last year as far as school is concerned. i also wish i could be here for grandma...
I need to go get art supplies today. Then i'll be driving back to Orange...

it's so cold right now...last night it dipped into the low 30's. That's cold for southern California! Right now it's in the 50's outside...i love it. I love the cold. As long as i'm properly attired for it.

off i go. lots to do...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: