Sunday, September 19

This Morning

White noise hushes footsteps
Dim light summons drowsiness
As quietly i creep along pristine boards
past pink and scarlett rosebuds
A silent breath comes through the open windows
billowing the curtains
chilly and exciting
Sunlight splashes on the pure white comforter
cutting the cool darkness
a strip of light across her face
upon her red gold greying hair
stirring in the soundless flow
She sleeps so soundly
Breathes so deeply
Curled so tightly
she's a little girl again
Were she my own child i might stroke her face
and kiss her temple
as she did to me
And yet i stay my hand
to wake her would be cruel
and so i steal away
swallowing tears
chasteining my fears and doubting
I am not a little girl
i can't always be this way
I will always be this way
While there's ever life in me
I'll be so glad she's home
I am so glad she's home.

No comments: