Monday, September 27

"I wonder what it would be like to be that pretty?"

Sarah asked out loud, and held up a picture of a model/actress in the new issue of a magazine i recieve.
I only needed a moment to glance at it, as i'd already flipped through the pages and had already examined the article she was referring to. Yea, she was a beautiful model. Nice skin, nice hair, skinny, toned, blah blah blah...
And in all truthfulness, i have a weakness for my sister's unique beauty. Sorry, but i'm a very biased critic. Frankly, i was surprised she even posed the question/statement to me, because part of me finds it hard to believe that she thought i would actually agree with her and say something like "oh yea, i know. she's much prettier than you." I could see what was coming, i'd seen it a thousand times.
So after about 2 or 3 seconds i said, in all honesty, "I think you're that pretty."
I.....guess that was the wrong thing to say. And so ensued one of the more pointless, frustrating and superficial arguments i have had to date with my sister. And that's saying something.
I guess it just bothers me that she's so caught up with obsessing over something that she need not...because she's amazingly beautiful. I tried to explain to her that if she was stood next to that girl in a room full of people not 99% would choose the other girl as being the prettier one (as she said would happen). I tried to explain to her that there is no such thing as a girl whom *everyone* is attracted to. That she was freaking me out because of how determined she was to get me to "understand" her (aka agree wih her).
My sister's complaining about her looks is about the equivalent, to me, of...say if my parents were always complaining about what terrible artists they are. All i would do is look at what i had and say, "crap, nothing i have is as good as theirs, and if they despise what they have, what does that make what i've got?"
Maybe my own feelings are what are twisted. I dunno. It just makes me sad.

2 comments:

Leslie Andrew Ridings said...

Schucks,

I think Sarah's really pretty too, but I'd never tell her. I can imagine how it would go, too. We would be talking about something, and the subject would come up somehow (If I were to ever say it besides, she would probably just avoid me for the rest of her life, hah)... I would probably be smiling slightly, but sincerely, and say and I would be like, "Sarah, I think you're beautiful." then she would look at me a minute, probably thinking of how to react, and then I would cut her off by saying, "...really." She would probably think about that for a second and then either:

A: Say something really nice like "shutup" or "pirates aren't about being pretty," or a falsely sentimental "Aaaahhh..." or "I hope you die."
B: Keep quiet and think about what I said.

I really only threw in the "B" option so that there would be a choice, I don't think she takes me very seriously to begin with. That's ok. I probably shouldn't post this here as if she were to ever see it she would be all weirded out, or say with false sentimentality "ahhh thanks Andrew" the next time she saw me. Oh well. I already typed it.

Just felt led to post it. Our bodies are temples of the Holy spirit, and like it says in the Word,these forms are the Lord's, not our own-- and we "...were bought at a great price." I don't think its fair for someone as quality and attractive as Sarah to be saying that her temple is all crummy. Heck, look at me. When it comes to Temples I'm akin to a crumbling cathedral, but I thank the Lord for what little looks he has given me. In the end it may be about just accepting what the Lord has given you, what you have to work with, and swallowing your pride and doing the absolute most with what the Lord has consciously chosen to give you.

Praise God for that.

-Andrew

PS: hope that wasn't weird.

colleen said...

you guys are sweet. thank you. (: