Wednesday, September 22

They wanted to hear that Sound

As always, i've been thinking a lot about music lately.
Music is something that defines me, in a lot of ways. Perhaps that is why i'm so very particular about it. I only listen to artists that are consisnent in their production of good, solid, meaningful music. I'm highly skeptical and grossly snobbish about one-hit wonders and superficial lyrics. A good record, to me, is one that i can listen to all the way through without skipping a bunch of the songs. Perhaps i've missed out on some "pretty good stuff."
I'll live.
I'm one of the last people on earth who shout spout off on a pretentious speel about what music is worthwhile and what isn't...so i think i'll just end that segment there.

Collecting songs for a theme CD is an art i am relatively new to...and growing more and more obsessed with. I recently burned a mix of songs for my sister to listen to while she takes her naps. I picked songs from a variety of artists like Radiohead (of course), Sigur Ros, Nico, Smashing Pumpkins, some Enya (we grew up with it), some old Foo Fighters, Death in Vegas...and a few others. I will say, it was most enjoyable. I don't even have to be napping to listen no it! ha ha!

A CD in progress is one i'm working on as a "soundtrack" to a screenplay/film in my crazy head. What's interesting...and a bit strange is how the songs are turning into somewhat of a soundtrack to what my own emotional and mental state is at the moment. Very curious. Searching for the perfect songs for this is much more challenging, and more rewarding. So far, at least, as i've got about 6 or 7 songs that i would have never otherwise grouped together but for this very idea i have...and it's turning into quite an awesome mix! As you can see, i'm very excited about it. When it's done (if that day ever comes), perhaps i'll post it here.
Oder, viellecht nicht...
One thing i like about the latter CD "Project", is that it's making me branch out a bit more, get a bit braver...and it's been both a surprisingly plesant, yet at times disappointing journey.
Don't you hate it when you go out on a limb and buy a CD and it turns out to be not nearly as good as you hoped? And then you swear to yourself that "never again will i take a chance on something i'm unsure of and therefore depreive myself of a CD that i know i would have enjoyed"!!!
On the other hand, don't you love it when you buy a new CD, or discover a new band, and not only is is good...it's amazing. It's different, it's inspiring, and you feel so proud of yourself!
I'm still on a bit of a high after the last couple of show's i've been to; a Sufjan Stevens show, and on Friday, some friends and i went and saw Br Danielson and Half-Handed Cloud. Two extremely refreshing and lovely shows, for a number of reasons i may discuss later. Needless to say, it's been so...well...fun to discover new musical artists to enjoy!
It gives me a bit of hope that there are still other groups out there to discover, or even ones i know about, yet haven't "Gotten into". And i look forward to that.

I'm not even sure why i wrote this...it's just nice to clear some stuff out of my head and leave room for "more important" things i should be thinking about. Psssshhhh. whatever.
ha ha ha
Also, it's a nice break from the theme i've seen developing in my recent 10 posts or so.
I just read back over this...and it's hilarious how pretentious i actually did end up sounding. Pretty silly too. oh well. i'm slowly learning not to take myself too seriously...
On that note, please don't take me too seriously. i'm weird.
Gots to go to work.
Tschuss!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

You have spoken my mind on a level that is far more superior than probably any other eclectic music listener alive... or maybe I'm just tired. But yeah, everything you talk about in this post is uncanny because this is almost exactly how I feel about music. Plus when you talk about the soundtrack... lets just say I nearly peed my pants. Another scary thing too is all the bands you named (except for Death in Vegas) for the CD you made for your sister I just created a mix of for myself. I can't continue. It is late and I am way to tired to say anything more without freaking myself out.

Paw print,
Jeffrey Bear <---(this is one of those don't ask don't tell things, but if you do ask um....)