Tuesday, June 22

The Simple Wisdom...

C.S. Lewis never ceases to inspire me. In the midst of desires to write a story, particularly one for children, i chanced to come upon some essays of his concerning, ironically, storytelling. In his writings on children's stories, i've been pleased to find the following instruction:

-"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally (and often far more) worth reading at the age of fifty-except, of course, books of information. The only imaginative works we ought to grow out of are those which it would have been better to have not read at all...I am almost inclined to set it up as a canon that a children's story which is only enjoyed by children is a bad children's story."

-"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are marks of childhood and adolescence...When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." (with a little "shout-out" to Paul there...)

Then, referring to the notion that people should only read age-appropriate books, there is written on of my favorite quotes form him: "No reader worth his salt trots along to a time-table."

Perhaps this means nothing to anyone else but me. But i couldn't pass up a chance that perhaps someone could share my inspiration. I'm finding a great deal of joy in reading these essays, as I find myself relating to so much of what Lewis says. This isn't a new occurrence, as i often find when reading him, i can apply myself and understand myself much more. It's really very liberating, and i'm particularly pleased to find such a sense of knowing him on a more personal level, and being able to relate to him as well in some other way than spiritually.

I love to write, and it's fun really, to explore Lewis' own ideas of something i'm particularly interested in. To read works of his that go beyond even his stories and spiritual exhortations, as much as i love them, is refreshing. Like reading Tolkien's letters, to see a greater glimpse of someone you admire and peek into their other passions, and read what they have to say about life and family and, in this case, theories on the actual act of reading and writing. They were both so young at heart, and yet so wise...it gives me hope that i don't always have to be grown-up, or even feel so, to make an impact in this world.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: