Tuesday, November 9

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!

As i type i can hear the cupboards opening...shutting...opening...shutting...
He's been at it for nearly 30 minutes now.

This morning was the third morning this week that my grandpa got his and my grandmother's medications mixed up.

There was a lot of yelling and screaming...my grandpa screaming he didn't do it, my dad yelling that he did and my mom crying and trying to be gentle. It went on for 5-10 minutes...my grandpa calling my parents liars for saying that he got the medications mixed up, ordering my dad to get out of the room and mind his own business (bad idea)...my grandma telling them to leave him alone...my parents attempting in vain to warn them of the seriousness of the situation...
...this morning was the worst as he put both of their medications ALL at my grandma's place. It got so bad i started shaking and i had to put down what i was holding. I'm so sick of all the yelling.
We don't know why he's all of a sudden doing this...but it's been worrying us. It's the caregiver's job to put the medications out...but now he's starting to ignore that rule. So this morning after the "intervention", we decided we had to hide their pill boxes. He's been in the kitchen searching feverishly for them ever since. I just heard him open the oven for the FIFTH TIME. He's looken in the freezer, the refrigerator, the washing machine, the trash can, the dishwasher...
"I...I've got to find...where...where did she put the pills? where...where...I've got to find..."
Thumping around with his cane. muttering. thumping. muttering...

He can't see, and his memory is shot. Heck, the guy's 90. So he's just circling, circling circling.

We know he'll eventually sneak back into the back of the house where my family stays...he does it to make sure all of our windows are closed, or that our heat is turned up to sweltering heights...so we're having to be very tricky where we hide them. We're this close to putting deadbolts on our doors.
It's so bizarre. It's like a comedy situation or something...but when it's real...it's not quite as funny.
It's a matter of life and death.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I just wanted to get that out.
OKAY!

I just finished mounting an assignment for my Art Center class...i have to drive out to Disney to get my mom to print out another one for me. I really like the class. It's extremely challenging...but so far, i've been able to keep up with it. Which is an amazement to me. It's my other classes i'm worried about...he he...
At least i'm keeping up in German. Also an accomplishment. Selbsverstandlich...it's probably because i like it so much! But no one else likes it when i speak it. It's like they can't understand me or something...
My dad just informed me that we're hiding the pills behind the bookcase.

So it's come to this...

3 comments:

Tim P. said...

Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch auch, viellicht (sp?) konnen wir auf Deutsch blog.

also, hope your grandpa isn't in on the blog scene...but seriously, hope everything is bearable!

colleen said...

Ich weiss. Das ist eine gute Idee; aber ich brauche mehr Deutsch lernen. Denn ich kann auf Deutsch...bloggen. (:

colleen said...

i mean... "kann ich".
oops.