Tuesday, October 31

Catching up...Days of fun and art! WOW!

So, i know this is a few days late, but i've been busy.

Saturday Pip, Sarah, our other friends Florette, Eddie and his wife Heather and i went to the Getty Villa in Malibu. I had never been, and it was very very beautiful. It was built to resemble a Grecian Villa, and holds ancient Greek and Roman art.
There is something so undescribably magical and chilling about being up close to things that have been around since long before Christ walked the earth. I'm starting to appreciate figure sculpture a lot more, so i loved looking at the busts and the figures carved in Marble and Limestone. People in the ancient world were extraordinary.

Pip and a creepy head. There were a lot of these.


Eddie and Pip. Chillin. It was a gorgeous day...!


Eddie Heather and...you guessed it...Pip!



On the way home, Sarah, Pip Florette and i amused ourselves by telling one-worded continue a stories and singing songs and listening to tunes. Pip is really into Michael Jackson right now...so that was interesting...

After arriving home, Sarah and i busied ourselves for a couple of hours and then headed over to Alec's apartment to hang out and record music. Now, Alec here is one of the most amazing crazy talented people i know, if you don't believe me check out his music myspace...

So we made some very silly songs about nonsense and Alec gave me an awesome mix cd which i haven't stopped listening to. Then we went to go get dinner and see a movie! horray!

Los Tacos. mmm. mexican food...


Lovely cousin Amy was supposed to meet us at the theatre, but we didn't see her until the movie was over. She had sat only a few rows behind us! She said she realized we were in front of her when she saw my profile. Hard to miss that!










We saw The Science of Sleep, hence the previous post. I love Michel Gondry because you know you are going to expreience something truly unique and genuinely heartfelt. I loved this film.

Well, time to go home and work on my painting.
ohoh, first some pictures of what i've been doing...

some hand studies...(again, blurry...sorry...)





underpainting for our next in-class portrait...now that we're doing half-length we get 6 sessions instead of 2! :D
This is my friend Krystyl...i'm very excited because i've been wanting to do her portrait for a long time...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
i'll be painting on it more tomorrow...

cool.

Now, I thought it would be kind of interesting to let everyone see my process for my homework i'll be doing for that class i was writing about a couple of weeks ago. I'm a bit reluctant, because art goes through some very awful "ugly stages"...but oh well. It might be cool anyway.

Here's my set-up for the painting, Complete with 40x60 canvas, and lots of pictures of Pip's back and shoulders. Thank you Pip!!




A couple of hours later...


i still need to fix the hands. that's not what they're going to look like. The head will be more thrown back, too. I know this sounds terrible, but because Pip shaved his head and i wanted longer hair on the man in my painting i might need to use another head...any takers? I'll be working on it more tonight, maybe i'll get the hands right.


okay. now i really do need to go home. It's getting dark and cold an hour earlier...which i'm happy about, by the by.

A bunch of people are going to Universal to party and yuk it up in vampire costumes and fairy wings. But i get to do something better with my evening...i get to listen to my new mix cd and paint and dance around. Who needs trick-or-treating. Not me!

Happy Halloween...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are lovely.

i think that when you are done painting pip's back you should post those reference photos all over your apartment.


you know...just to see what people would do.